Featured Post

Planning a Trip to Japan

You could go the easy route and pay a travel agent to plan your trip but that'll cost you a lot of money, money that you may not even ha...

Saturday, August 22, 2015

My Study Abroad Experience- Part 2

Part 1: http://japantherapyneworleans.blogspot.com/2015/08/my-japan-study-abroad-experience-part-1.html


My Japan Study Abroad Experience
Part 2: School Life

Program:
UNO-Japan: Study at Doshisha University
Studying in Kyoto, Japan
To Learn more go to inst.uno.edu/Japan or contact them at UNOJapan@uno.edu or (504)280-6388.

It's exciting to travel to a new country to see and experience new things, but when you're studying abroad you still have to go to school. I went on this program because it was already affiliated with the university I was attending. The good thing about this program is that it accepts students all over the country. In my last post I mentioned I had a roommate. Well, she was coming from California. My program year also had students from Utah and Ohio. The reason why my roommate decided to apply to this program was because it was the cheapest she could find online. And this program is not only limited to students. My program year had a girl who attended that was no longer a student. The girl just went to the two required classes she needed to take to be on the trip but didn't have to stress over what grades she got. This program is literally for just about anyone (there are restrictions though so look that info up).
My roommate and I eating out in Kyoto, Japan.

Now, I said something about required classes. Let me explain that. This program is a study abroad program. There will be a selection of classes you can sign up for. It is required that you take two classes during the program of the listed classes they supply you. I took a Japanese 2001 class and an English class focused on geisha and samurai. My roommate took a Japanese 1001 class and a Japanese history class. I repeat, two classes are required and it doesn't matter what two. Next order of business, these classes are taught in English by professors from the University of New Orleans or Tulane. The classes are small and attendance is mandatory. The program direct and teachers understand that you are in a new country so your classes are not extremely hard. You still have to work hard at your classes but there's typically no homework. In the Japanese classes you take online tests. For the other classes (like English and History) there will be about two papers to write during your six week stay in Japan for the program. The classes change every year for the program, so depending on which teachers will travel will determine the type of classes for that program's year.
Two classrooms we used on campus in two different buildings.

The university I studied at was Doshisha University in Kyoto, Japan. We only used the campus for classes and lunch. The campus was so beautiful when I went, and it still is. Each building was designed differently, and the designs reflect the function of the building, in my opinion. The campus wasn't too large so it was easy to get around. In order to get onto the campus all the study abroad students on the program received student passes. The passes were needed because the campus entrance was guarded by security. I didn't need to purchase a printer because the student pass that I was given gave me access to the computer labs. There were two that I knew of, so there was always space in the labs to print my papers before class. If you weren't feeling in the mood for cafeteria food there would be the option of convenience store food or restaurants near by. During the program the students had the chance to go to three club activities on campus. I got to participate and meet the students of the flower arranging club and the calligraphy club. The other club was the kendo club.
The building I ate lunch in. It was crowded during lunch hour.

Group photo of the program students with the flower arranging club (Ikebana).

The campus was always so lively with students everywhere. The study abroad students had the opportunity to gain new friends with the Japanese students. But that'll be discussed next time, so look forward to it.

Part 3: http://japantherapyneworleans.blogspot.com/2015/08/my-japan-study-abroad-experience-part-3.html

Follow me on Instagram: https://instagram.com/japantherapy/

Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/japantherapynola

Follow me on Google+ to be updated on new posts: https://plus.google.com/+JenniferTorresjapantherapy/posts