Featured Post

Planning a Trip to Japan

You could go the easy route and pay a travel agent to plan your trip but that'll cost you a lot of money, money that you may not even ha...

Friday, March 18, 2016

Female Anime Characters as My Role Models

It's amazing how people choose role models. Most of the time they're real people such as family, celebrities, or maybe just a random person they've met. I can't say I truly have a role model who is real. There's not too many people I can actually look up to in real life, as sad as that sounds. The reason for this most likely comes from my own sense of morals I have developed over the years. My morals are greatly influenced by Japanese culture, a culture that is unique to the country. So as you can see, I can't really look up to many people in real life. Don't get me wrong, there are some things I can recognize in a few people that are notable qualities but it doesn't measure up to the nonredeemable parts. But it's okay if I don't have a real life role model. A role model doesn't have to be physically by you all the time, just somebody you can look up to.

I found my role models through anime. I have watched many anime and read a ton of manga. There are so many anime that I've seen that some shows are a distant memory, making room for new shows as they come out. But there are those anime that just stand out and will be remembered forever. I have quite a few anime like this, that were so life changing that I'd never forget the characters' names or the plot of the story. In the anime that are most important to me are characters that I can look up to and really improve myself through their characteristics.

Here are my female anime character role models!



Utena Tenjou- Revolutionary Girl Utena


Utena is the main character of this anime. She meets a new friend in school named Anthy who gets treated badly by the student counsel of the school. This anime is set in a fantasy world, so this school isn't your normal high school. Anthy is the Rose Bride and is fought for by all the student counsel. Utena decides to protect Anthy by fighting duels against anybody who tries to take Anthy away.
I like how Utena has that sense of wanting to protect a friend. Utena is courageous and never gives up. These are all qualities I love and try to use in my daily life. I try to always be there for my friends and protect them.

Tooru Honda- Fruits Basket


Tooru is probably one of my favorite female characters. I've looked up to her since I was a freshman in high school. Tooru is a high school girl who has been through a tough time with her mother's death, feeling like an inconvenience to her grandfather and other family members, and being homeless. This girl has been through so much and yet she is still able to smile and be a kind person to all the people she meets. There is no such thing as hate in this girl's heart. Her definition of punishment is a hug (the story of Fruits Basket is of a family who have the curse of the Chinese Zodiac and turn into their chosen animal when hugged by the opposite sex). So pretty much her punishment is turning the boys of the Souma family into animals.
I try to emulate Tooru as much as I can. I was very successful in high school, but then I noticed I'd get taken advantage of by friends and family. As much as I love Tooru and wish I could be like her I couldn't just sit back and be treated like that.

Momo Adachi- Peach Girl


That's where Momo comes in. I can relate to Momo perfectly! Momo is a high school girl who has tanned skin due to her swim team days in middle school. She would get picked on and harassed by people inside and outside of school. In the anime she first feels the need to lighten her skin so she could get the attention of a guy she liked but gradually came to the realization that there are people out there who like her for who she is, no matter what she may look like. Bullied? Forget about it! She didn't let anybody make her feel less of a person. She would get in their face and make them take back what they said.
I can relate to Momo the most on a personal level. I've been made fun of my whole childhood due to the way I looked too. Apparently having curly, frizzy hair means you are going to be targeted for bullying. Getting bullied and made fun of was upsetting at first. I'd do so much to try to get my hair straight in order to avoid the nasty comments and gain attention. But I also realized that there were people in my life who actually mattered to me and accepted me for who I was. I didn't have to change anything about myself in order to be around them. I finally embraced my looks for what they are and I've been happy ever since then. Momo was a big role model for me and taught me to love myself.

Misaki Ayuzawa- Kaichou wa Maid-sama


And finally, there's Misaki! Not only do I love this anime but I love Misaki. She is a great role model for those of you who are looking for inspirational people. Misaki's best quality is her desire to do her best in everything, She is a hard worker. In the anime, Misaki is the high school president, a straight A student, and works at a maid cafe in order to earn money to support her broke family. I respect her and try to work hard in everything I do. If I'm not giving it my all at work, my writing, or in anything else then I feel like I've failed Misaki.

These are my role models. They've been guided through life by these girls. I don't know what kind of life I would be leading without them.
Thanks for reading my blog! I had fun making this post. I love anime so it's nice when I get the chance to write something related to anime. Foll me on all my social media for more Japan related things.


#japantherapy

And subscribe here on Google+!