Featured Post

Planning a Trip to Japan

You could go the easy route and pay a travel agent to plan your trip but that'll cost you a lot of money, money that you may not even ha...

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Why You Should Study Abroad in Japan

There are many ways to travel to Japan. You can go for vacation, a job or on a guided tour, but one of the best ways to experience Japan is through studying abroad. Whether you choose a program at a school in your own country or applying to a Japanese school, studying abroad has many benefits that other traveling methods don't offer. I'm going to be talking about why you should be studying abroad in Japan.

First note to those of you who are reading this, if you are planning to go to Japan for the first time ever I HIGHLY recommend you participate in a study abroad program. I'll be explaining the reasons in the blog post. And for those of you who have been to Japan before but don't want the stress of planning a trip, I also recommend studying abroad.

Let me explain....

With mostly all study abroad trips, many of the necessary things are handled for you. There's no need to worry about finding housing, visa applications or getting health insurance. These are all things necessary in order to stay in Japan for an extended amount of time and are a pain to handle by yourself. Having a program you can rely on for these things makes your journey to Japan a bit more stress and worry free. Some programs even go above and beyond! My program included meal tickets and a city bus pass. I literally had nothing to worry about, just needed to enjoy myself. And were you planning to travel a little bit to see more of Japan? Some study abroad programs have got that covered too with weekend field trips (mine did)! Many study abroad programs really don't want their students to worry about anything. The whole point of studying abroad is to gain knowledge of that country and to go on an adventure. I can tell you from experience, it definitely felt that way to me and my classmates.
That dorm room life in Japan.
Speaking of classmates, studying abroad helps you meet new people and form friendships that wouldn't have started otherwise. And these friendships will be natural because you'll already know you have something in common with these classmates, you all love Japan! I've made so many friends because of my love for Japan and it's so amazing. Another thing that's great about study abroad programs are that you are not alone. You have classmates who are going through the same thing as you and are experiencing the same feelings. Studying abroad is great for people who don't want to travel through Japan alone (things are typically more fun when you can enjoy it with others). Scared of getting lost in Japan? Well, if you study abroad you'll have people to get lost with!
Exploring the city of Kyoto with some classmates on the Kyoto field trip.
Now let's talk about some experiences you could mostly only get studying abroad. Ever wanted to join a club in college like in the anime? Well, in some study abroad programs you will get the opportunity to try out different clubs with the local students on campus. During my own study abroad experience I got to try out ikebana (flower arranging) and calligraphy. These are things I wouldn't have thought to try if I was just traveling through Japan on my own. Ever wanted to meet Japanese college students and form friendships with them? Not all programs have it feature, but mine has what they called a "tomodachi program" (tomodachi is Japanese for friends). This "tomodachi program" enables study abroad students to have a Japanese lunch partner. These are typically Japanese students who volunteer as lunch partners. This is a great opportunity for students to practice their Japanese or to just make a new Japanese friend. Of course this is not limited to lunch. Some Japanese lunch partners may want to see you outside of the campus setting. The friendship what what you make of it.
With the Japanese lunch partners.
My point in all of this is if you are looking for a more interactive and enriching experience when traveling in Japan, I really recommend studying abroad. It just has so much to offer. Even though it has a price tag on it, the journey through it all is priceless.


If you are interested in studying abroad in Japan, my program I went on is a great option.
Please take a look at their website: http://www.uno.edu/studyabroad/japan/
Here's their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/UNOJapan.Doshisha/
And if you have any questions about the program or would like to inquire more information on it, please send them an email at UNOJapan@uno.edu. They will be thrilled to help you discover Japan.
Or you can talk to me more about it. I don't mind helping you.

It's never too late to study abroad! This program I went on is for all ages and doesn't require you to currently be enrolled at the university. In my summer of the program, I had one college graduate and several out-of-state students attend the program. So these can't be used as excuses to yourself to not study abroad. Just take the plunge and do it! You won't regret it!

Thanks for reading my blog. For more Japan related content, follow me on social media: Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. I also just started a YouTube channel (I'm going to try and get better, promise).

Until next time!!!