Featured Post

Planning a Trip to Japan

You could go the easy route and pay a travel agent to plan your trip but that'll cost you a lot of money, money that you may not even ha...

Monday, April 20, 2020

Watching Anime During COVID-19

Whether you are considered "essential" for work, working from home now, or unfortunately lost your job, we are all experiencing some extra time on our hands since leisurely things are closed off from the world due to the current worldwide pandemic that is COVID-19, a type of coronavirus. With this free time we have staying at home, one of the great things about being an otaku during this time is the fact that we can watch anime!


Sadly, the Spring 2020 anime season is starting off to a bumpy start as many anime series of this season are being delayed as Japan has finally announced its state of emergency for the whole country, hoping that this effort will slow the virus down. In a state of emergency, all non-essential personnel are being asked to work from home or discontinue work until further notice. The anime industry in Japan is taking a hit from this stay at home effort, putting many series at a stand still such as Re: Zero season 2, the new Pokemon series, One Piece, and many more. With these delays in Japan also comes delays in English dubbed anime from companies like Crunchyroll and Funimation. There are still some anime from this season running on schedule, but this anime season wasn't too exciting to begin with.

So what's the solution for our anime watching needs? Start catching up on older anime.

For the past few years there have been so many anime coming out in a season of anime that you could hardly keep up with all the anime coming out, especially with your daily life full of other things to do. Now that many of our lives have slowed down we can make a comeback with anime we missed out on in the past. A great way to keep track of anime you have watched and plan to watch is through MyAnimeList.net. I have one that I created back in 2011, when I was watching so much anime I couldn't keep track of it all. I needed help organizing all the anime I have seen. This site also helped me keep track of anime I wanted to watch in the future but didn't have time for at the moment. This is the perfect time to go back to my list and start watching all the anime I had planned to watch.

Here are a few anime series I watched recently that I missed out on in the past. I definitely recommend these series if you haven't seen them before. I'm kind of sad I put them off until now.

  • Chihayafuru
  • A Place Further Than the Universe
  • Laid-back Camp
  • March Come in Like a Lion
  • Cells at Work
  • Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
  • Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
  • Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku
Like I said, those are series that I caught up on (I wanted to watch and planned on watching them in the future when I had nothing else to watch). I would also like to give some personal recommendations for you. These are anime I feel are a perfect time time watch and are ones that I really enjoyed:
  • Carole & Tuesday
  • Death Parade
  • Himouto! Umaru-chan
  • Kimi ni Todoke
  • Kono Oto Tomare!: Sounds of Life
  • The Anciet Magus' Bride
  • Nana
  • Spice and Wolf
  • Skip Beat!
I tried to suggest anime that weren't sad or depressing. If you are trying to avoid anime like that at all, then don't watch Nana. Please feel free to go on MyAnimeList profile to check out all the anime I have seen to get ideas for yourself.

Have fun watching anime! I'll be working on accumulating more anime to watch. Thanks for reading my blog!

Please follow me on social media for more Japan and anime related content such as my Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel!