Featured Post

Planning a Trip to Japan

You could go the easy route and pay a travel agent to plan your trip but that'll cost you a lot of money, money that you may not even ha...

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Things I Can't Get Used to in Japan

I can study and practice as much of the culture as possible but there will always be things that I just will never get used to in Japan. My visits to Japan have been pretty frequent, probably more than the average person. I'm very lucky to visit as often as I have. But there are things that will always trip me up when over there. And I don't think I'll ever get used to honestly. Let's take a look at those things!


Using the Train System

I come from southern United States, where we lack a public train system used for daily transportation. We barely have a functioning bus system. It's either drive or you're doomed! So coming from a place that doesn't even use a train system, Japan's train system is so confusing to me. It's not even a language issue! It's just me not used to using a train, so things like buying the right train ticket and entering onto the right train platform is foreign to me. I try really hard to figure it out, but I end up always needing some kind of assistance. At least I know I'm not alone because even some Japanese people get on the wrong train on accident.
A sign to direct people to different rail systems in Osaka, Japan.


Dressing Properly for Every Occasion

I did a blog post a long time ago about why people dress nice in Japan. In the blog I mention how Japanese people will dress nicely even to just grab something quick at the store around the corner from their home. I like being comfy and for me that consists of sweat pants and a shirt. Pretty much pajamas. Where I'm from it's not really a surprise to see someone dressed comfortably like this in a public setting. But in Japan, you will NEVER see this. 

Quick story time! I stayed at a hotel in Tokyo DisneySea. It was my last night in the hotel and I would have to catch my plane flight back home the next day, so I was getting comfy in my room a little early. My husband decided he want a snack and wanted us to go down to the hotel's gift shop. I looked at my clothes I had on previously, knowing I should probably put them back on to go downstairs in the lobby. My energy level was not having it though. I ignored the protocol that was dressing properly and went down in sweat pants and a shirt.  Oh man! I stuck out so much! I have no regrets about it because I was super tired but I definitely didn't blend in.

So yeah, I would probably have these kind of moments in Japan.

Saying "Sumimasen" in a Restaurant

For a pretty quiet country you would think a restaurant would be a quiet place, but no. Once you are seated at a table and had time to look over the menu, you have to call your waiter over by projecting your voice with a "sumimasen." You can even add in a little raise of the hand. You will see so many Japanese people confidently do this in restaurants. I know this is the proper thing to do in Japan, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of this soul crushing feeling when I do it. It's just so wrong to my American self who is not used to calling waiters over. You usually don't want to disturb them too much because you know they don't want to be there. In Japan, they will go above and beyond to serve you, even coming when called upon. I will do as the Japanese do, but I will always feel weird saying "sumimasen" in a restaurant.
Had to say "sumimasen" to get this pasta.


Drinking Tea

This may come as a surprise to many people but I'm not a tea fan (a lot of people think liking Japan means you like tea). I actually hate tea. The bitterness makes me gag (some more than others). In Japan, you are lucky if you come across a restaurant that serves water automatically because a lot of them serve tea first. I've been a good sport most of the time and drank the tea I was served, but then there were other times I refused to drink the tea and would wait until I was out of the restaurant to grab a drink from a nearby vending machine. I will never learn how to like tea. I've already tried and it didn't work. I just can't get used to drinking tea.

And that's everything I can't get used to in Japan. I hope you enjoyed my blog. Is there anything you would never get used to in Japan?

For more Japan related content follow me on social media: Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Thanks again for reading. Until next time!