Featured Post

Planning a Trip to Japan

You could go the easy route and pay a travel agent to plan your trip but that'll cost you a lot of money, money that you may not even ha...

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Can You Really Go to Japan?

Warning: This is an organized rant, but very eye opening. Please be open-minded to the ideas I’m stating. Thank you!
Inside Tokyo Airport.
People always tell me they want to go to Japan. When I ask them why they haven’t been yet I mostly get the reply, “Well, I don’t have the money to travel to Japan.” I used to feel sorry for them and nod in agreement but I’ve finally realized that they’re wrong.

Let me explain.

If you have a job you’re obtaining money. Most of that money goes towards bills and living expenses, but what does the rest of it go towards? I see it all the time. People spend their spare cash on going to the movies, video games, DVDs, eating out, and other various things. They spend that money on things they enjoy doing. That’s totally acceptable, but that’s the reason why you’re not going to Japan. If you would just save up all the money you used on the little things in life you would be able to eventually go to Japan.

Now, why are you spending that money on those little things? I’ll tell you.

It’s because those little things come to you immediately. You see them in front of you and they’re easy to get when you want it. A trip to Japan is opposite of that. Japan is not in front of you and you won’t be going immediately. It’ll take a while to save the money you need but you’ll get there eventually. You just need patience and restraint.

I can’t tell you how many friends come to me saying, “We should go to Japan together one day.” Now, I just say sure and let them think what they’d like. I know that we most likely won’t be going to Japan together because we spend our money differently. I hoard my money while they spend it on a bunch of random stuff. Our priorities are different. My #1 priority is going to Japan as many times as possible. My friends have totally different priorities ranging from collecting video games to dining out. I used to buy books like it was nobody’s business, but then I realized I wanted to go to Japan way more than having books. Now I only buy a book if I get gift cards as present or if it’s my birthday.

Point being, I know what I want to do with my life and I do what I have to do to get what I want. Yes, that means I can’t go out to eat as often as I’d like or blow my money on some amazing game that just came out. Those are the sacrifices I’m willing to make in order to go to Japan. That’s what’s important to me. Don’t complain over and over again that you can’t go to Japan. YOU CAN! The problem is that you’re not determined enough to save the money to go to Japan. That’s your own choice. You’d rather do other things with your money, and that’s fine. Do those things. If traveling to Japan is that important to you you’ll work hard to get there. And when that day comes, I’ll sincerely be happy for you.